We’ve finally found a recipe (that we tweaked a bit) that lives up to being called, “Tender & Flaky Buttermilk Gluten Free Biscuits”. Over the years we’ve baked lots of variations. Some were quite good, others were…well, just awful.
My 15 year old daughter has taken a liking to making breakfast most mornings, so she’s made this recipe numerous times. That’s her handiwork to the right. :-) So, here’s the recipe with my few tweaks…
Tender & Flaky Buttermilk Gluten Free Biscuits
- Time 10 minutes
- Serves 12
Ingredients – I usually double this – leftovers are very good!
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup sweet white rice flour
- ½ cup white rice flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1½ teaspoons xanthan gum – I’ve played with using chia seed here – sub 3 tsp in equal part water – may need to adjust kefir…
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1 teaspoon salt – I use Real Salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening – I use palm shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits – I’ve used only butter, no shortening with success – increase butter to 9 T
- 1½ cups buttermilk – I use homemade kefir
How to make it
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place parchment on a baking sheet.
- 2. In food processor, combine the tapioca flour, sweet rice flour, white rice flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Whiz around to blend.
- 3. Add the shortening and butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces, & pulse machine until the mixture is coarse and crumbly. Add the buttermilk and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- 4. Drop ¼-cup mounds of dough 2 inches apart on the prepared pan. I use a ice cream scoop for this step. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm with LOTS of butter. Yummy!